Monday, February 22, 2010

Apartment hunting in Malta

The job is great, so my main roadblock right now is finding a place to live. I contacted some ‘estate agents’ (which makes me think someone has died) before I arrived and set up some appointments. I saw 2 apartments on Friday night, and 14 apartments on Saturday, with 4 different agents. It’s a little bit strange for me, since real estate in Canada is generally an exclusive relationship, but I’m trying to be open to this non-monogamous system. I see it a little bit like dating – I’ve gone on a first date now with these agents, and some of them I won’t be answering their request for a second date. For example, the one that keeps saying ‘but all the foreigners want to live in xyz so you’ll want to live there’ despite my protestations that I want somewhere convenient for my work and lifestyle. Her answer was ‘but of course you’ll drive’.

This leads me to another topic. I’ve realized I’m a public transit activist. I feel strongly that public transit should be a reliable option, and in order for that to happen, more people need to take the bus! Also, EVERYONE complains about the traffic here. I have a simple answer. TAKE THE BUS. I’ll stop ranting about public transit now, and get back to apartment hunting.

My deadline to find an apartment by March 5th, when Riker (the cat) will arrive with Ashley. (By the way, turns out Riker’s ticket is costing about the same as Ashley’s, despite his much smaller size, lack of on-board service (there are no pretzels in the cargo hold), and the one-way nature of it). However, I would really, really like to move this weekend if I can find something suitable so I have a chance to start settling in a bit.

I saw many lovely apartments, but the old adage ‘location location location’ is becoming my mantra. I’m soon going to refuse to get out of the car if I don’t like the area. I don’t have the time or the energy. I did see one that could work in terms of location and it was a lovely apartment, but I want to see a few more before I commit.

He also doesn’t yet know about Riker….

1 comment:

Happy said...

Just in case any one is looking for
A home away from Home – A gem and Rare Find

The most fabulous town house in an extremely quiet area of Sliema, however 2 minutes walk from the promenade, and it has completely been re-furbished, all new fixtures and fittings.
Available for rent immediately(mid November 2011) even for up to 3 years.
This is a town house . Direct from owner call me,Christine 99424027

http://housing.justlanded.com/en/Malta/For-Rent_Houses/Complete-refurbished-Sliema-Townhouse

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sliema-Malta-Town-House-to-rent/238452699548462