Sunday, March 7, 2010

In case of religious emergency, break glass

So I have become a bit of a public transit activist. I go out of my way to use transit, because I am trying to reduce my ecological footprint. Yes, I have always said I am not an environmentalist, but an ecologist does the math and makes decisions based on what we as a society can get out of the environment, and how to best go about doing that. I have become convinced that taking the bus is part of the path to achieving optimum output from our resources.

Now, taking the bus in Malta is not like taking the bus in Toronto. First, the buses are ancient and quite full of character - many have names, like 'Reliance' and sport slogans like 'meet me halfway'. This bus sports a crucifix, behind glass, next to an emergency hammer.

While there is no signage, the suggestion is clear to me - should I have a religious emergency, say a demon were to posess the person next to me, I could use the hammer to break the glass and perform an emergency exorcism, right?

Second, this poses a problem for many of my fellow bus goers, who feel they need to cross themselves on a regular basis. I think it may be when we are passing things of religious significance, but I'm not sure as I don't speak Catholic. There was definitely more crossing of selves in the bus with the crucifix. I think the teenagers making out felt guilty too.

1 comment:

Tiffany M C said...

Random thing that I was reminded of:
http://typetees.threadless.com/product/488/In_case_of_emergency_BREAK_DANCE