Monday, January 12, 2009

Just a quick one. Don't want to start the week on too little sleep!

We're back from the holidays, and a week into rediscovering life here in Ulsteinvik. The cats survived their sojourn at "Pusenfryd", and we survived the nine different flights that brought us to, and then home from, Canada. It was good to be back home for a while, even if it's always a bit odd when the visit is so short, because you're never really settled.

This week, we're pulling together the first meeting of our new "Rugby Klubb". We're going to be working with some folks from Ålesund, just to increase numbers. In a magic future, we could have clubs in both Ålesund and Ulsteinvik, but I think that's some time and struggle down the road.

Work is continuing apace. I really feel like the next 3-6 months will be the most important ones that I have on my project. Earlier, we laid the ground work. Late enough, and the success of the project is really in others' hands. This chunch of time is when our (the electrical design folks) rubber really hits the road. Here's hoping it goes well!

We went skiing at a nearby ski hill (Bondalseidet, or the Ørsta Ski Senter) on our first weekend back. The weather was fantastic (-10, but sunny), and our new skis (Christmas presents) did everything we wanted them to. Since then, however, the weather's really warmed up, and it's been above 4 degrees, even at night, for 5 straight days now.

Time between sunrise and sunset today: 5 hours, 47 minutes. ...but moving in the right direction.

I've decided to take the Norwegian level 3 test in February. It is the highest test that is given out as part of the "train immigrants to speak Norwegian" system. It will be challenging, but the prospect has helped to keep me focussed on learning. There is a test beyond that, but it's more for those who want to get a job that actually requires the professional, written use of Norwegian. I doubt that I will shoot for that. In addition, this "Level 3" test allows me to get a permanent resident visa, should I decide that I want that. At the moment, I'm here on a regular work visa for professionals that will expire in April 2011.

Okay, off to bed.

Cheers,

Ashley

No comments: