Thursday, November 6, 2008

Halloween in Ulsteinvik!







So we had a little Halloween party in Ulsteinvik, and invited all of our new friends. Norway hasn't really gotten into Halloween, and unfortunately many who observe the holiday here have adopted the negative aspects like pranks and throwing eggs at houses without much of the positivity. As a result, many Norwegians that we have talked to are actively against Halloween.

However, we were able to convince our new friends that it was a good idea, although it did take some explaining what we were going to "do" at a Halloween party. Getting a pumpkin was also a challenge, finally I found some that cost $4 a kilo. So two tiny pumpkins were about $16 each. I also made some "witches fingers" cookies, and I attempted to make a white chocolate "slime" but I don't have a double boiler so I burnt it. I had ordered some costumes from Ebay some time ago, and I also picked up a few extra masks at the Nille (expensive Norwegian version of a dollar store) for guests who might not have gotten masks but want to participate. Ashley carved the pumpkins and we discovered that Riker likes pumpkin. Who would've guessed?

The big night was a roaring success, with guests from 12 different countries :-) Everyone had a great time, we played some halloween games, mingled, and even people who weren't so sure at the beginning were very happy to have had their first halloween party. Then we went out to one of the local bars and I won best costume :-) Not that hard in Ulsteinvik, admittedly, but I did feel a sense of accomplishment nonetheless.

That's all for now, we're off to have tacos at our Venezuelan and German friends.

Kes

No comments: